Teachers Resource: creationsafaris.com/teach.htm
Bwanas Guide: creationsafaris.com/leader.htm
Reality Checks are devotional outlines for outdoor preachers and teachers that have worked well on Creation Safaris, in line with our motto Escape to Reality. These lessons should be thought out with additional Scriptures, explanations, illustrations, and personal testimonies to make them your own. Above all, handle with prayer.
David F. Coppedge
ALL THINGS CREATED BY GOD ARE GOOD
Theme: Christians typically smile on some physical things and frown on others. Legalism would
simply make a list of forbidden things, while libertinism would say salvation provides liberty to indulge.
Neither extreme is Biblical. In our text, Paul provides four principles for how to enjoy creations
good things with a clear conscience.
Text: I Tim 4:3b-5
3 ...foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth.
4 For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected, if it is received with thanksgiving.
5 For it is sanctified by means of the word of God and prayer.
Criteria: What things are good and not to be rejected?
Application: In light of these criteria, evaluate various created things, such as food, drugs, sex, thorns, poisonous plants, alcohol, cholesterol, mosquitoes, marijuana, tobacco, meat vs vegetables, etc. Help the audience use the principles rather than making a list of good and bad, dos and donts.
- Created by God: Is it in the original created form?
Discussion: what were the results of the Fall (Gen. 3) on the original goodness of creation?
- Gen 1:31 - God saw everything He had made; and indeed, it was very good
- Titus 1:15 - To the pure, all things are pure
- Rom 14:14 - Nothing is unclean of itself (study entire chapter: Rom 14)
- Eccl 3:11 - He has made everything appropriate in its time
- Received with thanksgiving: Does it glorify God when I enjoy it?
- Mt 15:36 - And [Jesus] took the seven loaves and the fish and gave thanks
- 1 Thes 5:18 - In everything give thanks, for this is the will of God.
- I Cor 10:31 - Do all to the glory of God.
- Sanctified by the Word of God: Does it not violate Scripture?
- I Cor 3:16-17 - Body is a temple of God, do not destroy
- I Cor 6:12 - All things lawful, not all things profitable
- I Cor 6:13 - Body for the Lord, and Lord is for the body
- I Cor 6:19-20 - Body a temple of Spirit, bought with a price; glorify God
- I Cor 10:23 - All things lawful, but not all edify (vv. 23-31)
- Sanctified by prayer: Can I ask God to bless it?
- Rom 14:22 - Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves
- Rom 14:20 - It is good neither to eat meat nor drink wine nor do anything by which your brother stumbles or is offended or is made weak
- Rom 14:3 - Let not him who eats despise him who does not and v.v., for God has received him
Activity: Memorize the text, I Tim. 4:4-5.